Interviews with Parents: Challenges and Suggestions
The same questions were asked of multiple interviewees, but depending on their specific situations, they were asked more individualized questions as well. Sometimes the questions have comments afterwards. Please add in your comments and questions (use the Help button on the left if you're unfamiliar with editing wikis). Or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- What has been especially challenging for you in raising your child to be bilingual?
- If she knows the word for something in one language, should I ensure she learns it in the other?
- How can I help my child maintain other languages?
- His teacher says socialization words should be English
- I don't want to push the SL since I just want him to talk period!
- Knowing how many languages are "too many"
- My child has developmental delays
- I can't 'talk through' my child
- Is it better to start all languages as an infant, or wait to introduce them as the child grows?
- Knowing how to handle speech difficulties
- Getting my kid to respond in the second language
- Daycare in the majority language
- They say only some words in the other language
- My child mixes the two languages
- Teachers say my child is "abnormal"
- Are there questions about bilingualism or raising bilingual children that you would like to have answered?
- What's the Limit to Number of Languages?
- How do I learn the 'baby words'?
- Cultural Identity vs "Usefulness" of the English Language
- Adverse effects on generally learning
- But I'm teaching my first language
- What if the 'bread winner' is the second language parent?
- I don't notice which language I'm speaking
- What advice would you offer other parents who've embarked on this journey?
- How would you describe your methods?
- One Parent-One Language even in public??
- What have been other people's reactions to your teaching your child another language?
- Thus far, do you feel you child is learning the language. What are the indications that they are/aren't?
A very large number of interviews are used to answer these questions. If there is a particular question you would like to see answered before the others, please contact email@example.com